Friday, March 1, 2013

no screen night

Recently I was reminiscing with a few girlfriends about the days without cell phones and computers.  We shared stories about bag phones our parents gave us and how they then threatened us within an inch of our life if we ever used them.  We assumed they must have cost $1,000 a minute.  I remember dial up internet, phones that didn't text, and being assigned an email address my first day of college and being annoyed that I would have to track down a computer lab to check it.   It was also in college when I saw the first ad in INSTYLE for a leopard Nokia phone, and longed for the day when I would be rich enough to buy one.  Needless to say, times have changed.

I realize the above paragraph is the equivalent of our grandparents "walking barefoot in the snow" stories, but I kind of love knowing life in both worlds.  I think it's because I knew a day without all of this technology, that I long for it from time to time.  If you are anything like me, you don't even realize how much you look at it.  My phone has become this thing that compels me to "check it", and it's embarrassing how second nature it has become.

Mr. Matty and I decided we needed a "no screen night".  NO cellphones, NO computers, NO television.  Every Tuesday we turn it all off, cook dinner together, listen to vinyl, read books, and have long talks. It's been amazing, and sadly a little tough, which is why we are planning to keep it up.  Do you find yourself needing a technology detox? What are some ways you are screen free?

3 comments:

debra mejia said...

I love your idea of a night, each week, to take a break from technology.

I try in little ways to do that too. Since I work from home, I go a little stir crazy, being in my studio all day.

It is nice to just go play with my 6 year old at the playground, ride bikes, or go walk barefoot in the sand at the beach.

LilStarOfTexas said...

Wonderful, intentional idea. I'd like to employ this with Chris as we carve out quality time together.

I'm currently trying to imprint the idea of limited screen time into Isaac's brain. At age 4 1/2 I already have to be super-diligent and consistent about the boundaries we set.

It seems to me that anything as easy as checking out in front of a screen (phone, TV, computer) surely cannot be beneficial for our relationships and our own inner selves in the long run. And at the same time, we do live in the present, and can be grateful for some of this technology, but not, I think, at the expense of our real lives... (she types while sitting in front of her computer) :)

Crissy @ House of Marlowe said...

Love this idea so much. I try not to get on my computer after my kids get home from school each day. I don't want them to have the memory of me being glued to my laptop. I also never give anyone the impression that I am available 24/7 on my cell by not instant messaging.

Pin It button on image hover