Wednesday, February 23, 2011

i eat gluten free: curried chicken with ginger and yogurt


I know I am probably late to this party, but I have recently fallen in love with my crockpot, mostly beacause of Rebekka! She opened my world to the ease of cooking soups overnight, and by morning lunch is ready. So when I was looking for a magazine for the plane, the latest Real Simple full of recipes for a slow cooker, caught my eye! I tried one out last night and it was a HIT! It was also easy because it was already Gluten Free which was an added bonus!

Curried Chicken with Ginger and Yogurt (from Real Simple March 2011)

1/3 cup tomato paste
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons of curry powder (yes, tablespoons)
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 onion, chopped
2 lbs. boneless, skinless, chicken thighs
salt and pepper 
1 1/2 cups long grain rice (i used brown)
1/2 cup plain whole milk greek yogurt (i used goat yogurt)
2 scallions, thinly sliced

In a 4-6 quart slow cooker mix together tomato paste, garlic, curry powder, ginger, cumin, and 3/4 cup water. Add onion and stir to combine.  Place chicken on top and season with salt and pepper. 

Cover and cook until the chicken is tender. (low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours)

20 minutes before serving cook rice according to package

Just before serving, add the yogurt, and more salt if needed and stir to combine. Serve over rice and sprinkle with scallions

Mr. Matty said it was even better the next day for lunch! If you love crockpot cooking at all, pick up this magazine..you won't be sorry.

5 comments:

Karen said...

What a great idea - I never even thought about cooking overnight so you'd have a great lunch ready. Move over, frozen, lame Lean Cuisines!

pink cupcake vintage said...

it has been a life changer Karen!!

Southern Shop Girls said...

I am in love with the plate

pink cupcake vintage said...

Oh thanks! I got them from Anthropologie. They may still sell them?

Southern Shop Girls said...

I'll check! I dont think I've ever walked into an anthropologie without finding something amazing

Pin It button on image hover