Monday, May 10, 2010

a surprising snack

My friend Wendy brought me some organic Kale from a farm around the corner from her house. I smiled as she handed me the bag, but inside was saying "what the heck do I do with kale?". I know Alicia Silverstone swears by it, but she is really hard core and I think she may also eat grass. But, a quick trip to foodtv.com and I found a recipe for kale that spoke my language. Kale chips! Surprisingly, kale chips taste like real chips, and without the guilt! Here are the deets on how to make them.

Take your kale for a spin in a salad spinner. Make sure it is nice and dry.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Tear leaves into bite size pieces. You also want to get rid of stems! Also make sure too many aren't overlapping or you will get soggy chips.

Drizzle a little olive oil over your leaves.

Now sprinkle a little sea salt.

Put in the oven at 350 degrees for about 10-13 minutes or until crispy!

This bowl of chips is actually good for you. (note: I wouldn't be a friend if I didn't tell you that cooked kale makes your house stinky...you may want to open a window)

4 comments:

tintarosa said...

I made these a couple of weeks ago from some kale I received through a veggie co-op. I liked them. The kids - not so much. I think they are worth a try.

pink cupcake vintage said...

Yeah...I can imagine kids not being huge fans of the kale chips! ;)

Mod Betty / Retro Roadmap said...

I had never heard of this idea until we hung out with some friends over the weekend and someone brought them. What a delicious treat! Glad to hear other folks are enjoying them too.

mary said...

So I just searched my Google reader for "kale", because I just got a bunch from the farmer's market and had no clue what to do with it...but now I know! This is perfect!! :)

Pin It button on image hover